These Flowers Are Pretty, But They’re Deadly To Cats and Dogs

ARS_Blog_DTOP_BelowTitle_300x250

Summer is a great time to take your pet for longer walks and let them play outdoors, but it’s not without its dangers.

Most people understand that their pets need to stay hydrated and take breaks in the shade every once in a while. They might check for ticks when playing in tall grasses or wooded areas, and be sure to never leave their pet in a hot car.

These are signs of a responsible pet owner, however, it’s not all they have to worry about.

A number of flowering plants can be poisonous to pets, too. Knowing how to recognize these plants, and keep your pet out of harms way, will help you make the most of the summer, and time spent with your animals.

Source: Public Domain Pictures Daffodils are beautiful, but poisonous.

Source: Public Domain Pictures
Daffodils are beautiful, but poisonous.


Remember to contact your veterinarian if you have any questions about your pet’s health, and use this list to help avoid any unpleasant emergencies. Here are 10 flowers that pose serious problems for our furry friends:

10. Lilies

Several species of lilies are poisonous to cats and dogs, including the Peace, Peruvian, and Calla.

According to the Pet Poison Hotline, oxalate crystals in the flowers can cause irritation in the mouth, tongue, and throat, typically resulting in excess drooling.

True lilies, including Asiatic, Day, Easter, Tiger and Japanese Show lilies are much more toxic to animals. Ingesting just a few petals can cause kidney failure.

Like any other health concern, the Pet Poison Hotline recommends taking any animals who have eaten lilies to a veterinarian, though it’s also helpful to induce vomiting, possibly discharging the poison.

Source: Public Domain Pictures Many kinds of lilies, including these Japanese Show lilies, are poisonous to animals.

Source: Public Domain Pictures
Many kinds of lilies, including these Japanese Show lilies, are poisonous to animals.


9. Lily of the Valley

Often found in wooded areas, the small white bells of the Lily of the Valley are pretty to look at, as well as smell, but they harbor a deadly secret. These plants can be deadly to animals and small children who eat them.

It’s not just the flowers that can send you to the hospital; the entire plant is toxic. Gardening Know How reports that Lily of the Valley is suffuse with glycosides, which can interfere with the heart’s ability to pump blood.

Commons symptoms of Lily of the Valley ingestion are stomach pains, blurred vision, irregular pulse, sometimes even vomiting or diarrhea and in the worst cases, seizures and death.

If you have these plants in your yard, it may be best to take them out.

Source: Pixabay Lily of the Valley is extremely poisonous to animals and children.

Source: Pixabay
Lily of the Valley is extremely poisonous to animals and children.

Click the button below to learn more about what may be growing in your own backyard!

Matthew Russell is a West Michigan native and with a background in journalism, data analysis, cartography and design thinking. He likes to learn new things and solve old problems whenever possible, and enjoys bicycling, going to the dog park, spending time with his daughter, and coffee. Find more about Matthew on his personal website.
Proper ARS animalrescuesite_belowcontent