Fifteen Dogs Are Dead And Dozens More Ill After Eating These ‘Bone Treats’Matthew Russell
‘Tis the season for treats, sweets, and a number of other indulgences that Americans pass around each year, but if you’re a dog, there’s a lot more to be wary of than just the fruitcake.
The Food and Drug Administration is asking animal owners to be careful with a certain dog bone that may be given out during the holidays. Fifteen dogs have died, and at least 90 have become ill, after eating the “bone treats,” which are processed and may contain preservatives and artificial flavorings, the FDA reports.
Included in the list of offending offerings are “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones,” which may have been smoked, baked, dried, or specially flavored.
Having been cooked and dried out, the bones can sliver and cause internal damage or break off in larger pieces and lead to choking. According to the FDA, the following injuries have been linked to these products already:
- Cuts and other wounds in the mouth or throat
- Blockage of a dog’s stomach or bowels
- Bleeding from the rectum
While the FDA has not named any of the products by brand name, it has warned pet owners to avoid these treats, along with chicken bones or other bones from the kitchen table. And when disposing of the holiday feast, tie roast bones and carcasses up tightly, lest a daring dog decide to examine the trash.
“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet,” said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian for the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA. “We recommend supervising your dog with any chew toy or treat, especially one she hasn’t had before.”
So what can you find for your furry friend this season? Uncooked butcher bones are still safe to eat, the FDA maintains, and, even better, every purchase of Prairie Dog Deer Antlers from the Animal Rescue Site store funds 35 bowls of food for shelter animals.
The food-related animal deaths this year are a signal that something needs to drastically change. Pet food safety regulations need to be updated. Our animals should be safe, and our salmon cigars can help them snack without risk of harm. Find them below!