Tasty Dip Recipe: Spicy Roasted Tomatillo And Avocado SalsaThe Animal Rescue Site
We love guacamole as much as the next person (probably even more so), but every once in a while we like to switch things up and try something a little different. Avocados are a big part of this dip, but the tomatillos really steal the show! Tomatillos are a Mexican husk tomato, are bright green when ripe and have a delicious, tart zing. We love to incorporate other traditional flavors usually found in Mexican food, so we also used lime juice, cumin and cilantro, which add a lot to the roundness of the flavor.
While this salsa may take a little longer to make, due to the roasting of the veggies, it’s so worth it once you taste it! There’s something unique about this side dish that keeps people coming back for more and we can’t get enough of it!
If you’re looking for ways to spice up your appetizer or starter game, or you just want to munch on something yummy, this salsa is your best bet!
Tomatillo Avocado Dip
- 8 oz. tomatillos, husked
- 3 large, ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno, rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped tomatillos, jalapeno, onion and crushed garlic and mix together with vegetable oil.
- Season veggies with salt and spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-13 minutes, or until lightly charred and tender.
- Place veggies in a bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let steam for about 10 minutes.
- Once steamed, remove charred skin of tomatillos and jalapenos under cool running water and transfer everything to a food processor or blender.
- To the food processor, add avocados, cilantro, cumin and lime juice.
- Pulse for 15 seconds, then stop to gauge consistency.
Note: if mixture it too thick for your liking, add in 1-2 teaspoons water, then continue blending
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately with vegetable sticks or chips, or keep refrigerated before serving.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine