I Can Feel Good About Feeding My Pup These Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats! And He Loves Them!chalc3d0ny
We love to cook. We love cooking all sorts of things, but really desserts are our sweet spot. Maybe it’s just us, but it seems like our pups love watching us cook too! They are fascinated when we’re in the kitchen, and because watching them watching us is so cute, we decided to make them a little treat for a change. Peanut butter dog treats!
First and foremost, when making your own dog treats you should consult a vet if you’re unsure about what is OK for your dog to have; each dog is different, so what’s healthy for one may not be healthy for another. In our case, our dogs love peanut butter and aren’t allergic to whole wheat flour, so this recipe is the perfect, easy choice for us. Plus, according to Pet HealthZone, “canned pumpkin has proven to benefit dogs’ and cats’ digestive tracts,” making these treats a great choice for “if your dog has an upset stomach from eating, say, fatty food accidentally left within his reach.”
Five ingredients are all you need for these sweets and you’re in business! Your pups will thank you (or just keep loving you forever) and you’ll feel good knowing exactly what went into your dog’s snacks. Win-win!
Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Yield: depends on size of cookie cutter
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (or rice or coconut flour)
- 3/4 cup natural, organic peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- cookie cutter (varying sizes, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together peanut butter and pumpkin puree until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the egg until it is fully incorporated.
- Alternately add flour and water to peanut butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until dough begins to come together and is no longer too sticky.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, or until fully formed into a ball.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-1/2-inch thickness and use your cookie cutter(s) to cut out desired shapes and amounts of treats.
- Transfer to baking dish and place in oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (baking time depends on size), or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completelythen treat your pup to a snack!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious